Thursday, November 11, 2010

G20: Immolation Attempt


Security at the G-20 summit faced its first test Thursday, November 11, 2010, as a woman tried to set herself on fire outside the conference in the host city Seoul, South Korea.
The middle-aged woman poured paint thinner over herself outside the main entrance to the summit venue, which is ringed by six-foot-tall fences, but police stopped her from lighting the liquid. Police detained the woman but said her motive was unclear.
In June 2010, An Indian man named Jasbir Singh said he would self-immolate outside the G20 summit to protest the 1984 Sikh Genocide.
"I come from Delhi, India. I am a victim and witness of November 1984 Sikh Genocide in which 26 members of my family were also burnt alive by the mobs led by Jagidh Tytler, then member parliament of party in power," he wrote in an email.
"On June 26, 2010, when Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India will be attending G-20 sumit in Toronto, Canada, I will put myself on fire as protest against the denial of justice to the victims of 1984 Sikh Genocide. I will sacrifice my life through self-immolation hoping that it will jolt the conscious of world community who will then pressurize India to prosecute perpetrators of 1984 Sikh Genocide."
No immolation occurred at the June G20 meeting, as far as can be determined.

No comments: